The Power of Transparent Red Iron Oxide: A Glazing Study

The transformation of cloth is one of my favourite stages in oil painting.



The image on the left is the end of my second pass, where I focus entirely on building the structure. At this stage, I'm not chasing rich colours. Instead, I'm concerned with the folds, the rhythm of the fabric, the direction of the light and the overall form.
Once that foundation is in place, the magic begins.

The image on the right shows the same cloth brought to life with transparent layers of Transparent Red Iron Oxide by M. Graham & Co. This remarkable pigment allows the underlying structure to remain visible while bathing the fabric in a warm, luminous glow that opaque paint simply cannot achieve.
A special thank you to my wonderful sister-in-law, who lovingly brought this tube all the way from the USA for me. Every time I use it, I'm reminded that art is often created not only with brushes and pigments, but also with the love and encouragement of family. ❤️

For the deepest shadows, I used a mixture of Indian Red, Ultramarine Blue, and just a tiny touch of Sepia. Together, they create rich, transparent darks that give the folds depth without making them appear dull or lifeless.

This is a work in progress of my painting of Parashurama.

Along the western coast of India, especially in the Konkan region, a beautiful legend tells us the story of reclaiming the land. Parashurama requested the sea to recede. Obeying his command, the waters moved back, revealing the fertile land that came to be known as Parashurama Kshetra. That is the inspiration behind the receding water at his feet in this painting, a quiet reminder of the enduring stories that continue to shape the identity of our coastline.

There's still much work ahead, but moments like these, when careful structure meets transparent colour, are what make the slow journey of oil painting so rewarding.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of my parents (in 2022)

Matsya Avatara

The Beginning of a Journey: Towards the Dashavatara