Vasudeva Carrying Krishna
From Sketches to Stormy Waters: Painting Vasudeva Carrying Krishna
Every painting begins as a collection of possibilities rather than a finished vision.
This piece depicts Vasudeva carrying the infant Krishna across the Yamuna while Shesha spreads his hood overhead. While I had the central idea in mind from the beginning, the painting evolved significantly as I worked through each stage.
The first stage was devoted to establishing the major shapes and rhythms of the composition. At this point, I wanted to explore the relationship between the towering form of Shesha, the turbulent waters below, and the small yet luminous presence of Krishna at the centre of the story.
As the painting developed, the movement of the river became increasingly important. The waves began to take on a life of their own, helping me create the sense of danger and urgency surrounding Vasudeva's journey through the storm.
The next major step was introducing the figures themselves. Once Vasudeva and the infant Krishna appeared on the canvas, the narrative became much clearer. What had previously been a collection of shapes and colours now started to tell a story.
One detail that makes this painting especially meaningful to me is that I used a photograph of my daughter from when she was about six months old as a reference for baby Krishna. While the figure was adapted to suit the painting, that personal connection added a special dimension to the process.
Alongside the painting, I spent time mixing and adjusting colours, searching for the right balance between the dark, threatening atmosphere of the storm and the divine presence at the centre of the composition. The palette often becomes a record of these decisions, holding traces of every experiment, correction, and discovery made along the way. I look forward to sharing the completed work soon.
For now, here is a glimpse into the journey.
Comments
Post a Comment