Narasimha's Fury - Research
When I first set out on my Dashavatara series, I assumed the process would be straightforward. Pick pivotal moments from my existing research and translate them to canvas.
My initial 2020 study of Narasimha, an oil on primed paper, felt obvious at the time. My focus was purely on raw, fiery rage. I wanted a lion’s face consumed by flame with Prahlada standing untouched in the corner.
However, after finishing the Varaha Avatara and delving deeper into the Bhagavata Purana alongside Sri Madhvacharya’s Srimad Ananda Tirtha Bhagavata Tatparya Nirnaya, my perspective shifted completely. I realized I had to revisit the painting.
The fire of Narasimha was never aimless fury. It was a metaphorical furnace meant solely to burn away Hiranyakashipu's ego and Adharma. Where the world saw an unnatural, terrifying, and a violent form, Prahlada saw a mother.
Just like a mother who chastises her child out of intense love, giving him chances to rectify his ways before taking firm action, the Lord acts as the eternal parent, guarding us not just across one lifetime, but through countless births. Prahlada’s Bhakti was rooted in this Vatsalya Bhava of maternal love.
It echoes Purandara Dasa’s famous words. "Aako hangidana? Iko hingidana? Parabrahma Narayana hyangidanendare..."
(Is He like this? Is He like that? The Supreme Being is ultimately whatever form you perceive Him to be.)



Comments
Post a Comment