The Night Krishna Crossed the Yamuna (Kenistudio diaries)

Vasudeva’s Procession Through the Yamuna

Oil painting of Vasudeva carrying newborn Krishna across the Yamuna at night, sheltered by Shesha during a storm, on the journey to Gokula.


We often imagine the journey of Vasudeva from Mathura to Gokula as the journey of hardships, carrying a newborn child at night through a raging river in a terrible storm, but when I came across Sri Vadiraja Tirtha’s description of this journey in Rukmiṇisha Vijaya, I began to see it in a new light. This was not a journey of an escape. It was a procession. On that dark Ashtami night, the Supreme Lord appeared as a tiny newborn child.

"Tam adbhutaṁ bālakam ambujekṣaṇam!"

Close-up of newborn Krishna resting in a wicker basket during His midnight journey to Gokula. Oil on canvas


Vasudeva placed Him in a wicker basket and set out towards Gokula. As I imagined that journey through Vadiraja’s eyes, the entire universe seemed to become part of His procession.


Close-up of Shesha spreading his hoods above newborn Krishna as a divine shelter during the storm. Oil on canvas.

Shesha spread his thousands of hoods above Krishna like a royal umbrella - Chatra seva.

Vayu moved gently around Him, performing Chamara seva.

The Gandharvas sang and played divine music.

The Apsaras danced.

Celestial flowers showered from above.

Even the thunderstorm seemed to become part of the celebration. These appear to us as a terrifying storm, but they're a part of an orchestra accompanying the arrival of the Lord.


Close-up of Vasudeva carrying newborn Krishna across the Yamuna during the midnight journey to Gokula. Oil on canvas.


In the middle of this, there is Vasudeva. He is performing palaki seva, carrying the personification of Dharma Himself upon his head. Or in other words, upholding dharma. That distinction is important to me. Krishna is not an extraordinary human being who will grow up to become divine. He is the Supreme Lord. The relationship between Him and everyone around Him is therefore one of seva and service to the Independent Supreme Being.

I wanted to hold on to that contrast while painting Him. A tiny infant, yet the centre of the universe.

Then comes Yamuna.

Close-up of the Yamuna waters opening a path for Vasudeva carrying Krishna to Gokula. Oil on canvas.

Detail of the stormy Yamuna and Shesha sheltering Krishna during His journey from Mathura to Gokula. Oil on canvas.


Kalindi, or Yamuna is not merely a river standing between Vasudeva and Gokula. She recognises her beloved Lord. In Shrimad Vadiraja’s Rukminisha Vijaya, there is a beautiful connection to the earlier story of Rama and the ocean. The ocean had once failed to provide Rama with a passage, and now Yamuna seems almost eager to ensure that she does not make the same mistake. She parts her waters and opens a path for Krishna. I love the way this transforms the river. Yamuna is no longer an obstacle to be overcome. She becomes another participant in the seva, and there is something even more beautiful in this. The river that opens a path for Krishna becomes a reminder of the much greater crossing, the crossing of the ocean of samsara. If the waters can part to make way for Him, what greater path could there be than the path towards Him?

Then the procession continues through darkness, storm, and across the Yamuna, towards Gokula.



Gokula itself is waiting for a destiny it does not yet know. A tiny child is entering the village, but with Him, an entire world of leela is about to unfold. Where even the grass below His feet is born so that it can become pure with the touch of His feet. 

The village that will become the setting for Krishna's childhood, the place of Yashoda's boundless fortune, the laughter of the Gopas and Gopis, the cows, the butter, the flute, the forests of Vrindavana and countless stories of His divine play, is about to receive its Lord.

The procession continues to Gokula, where its beautiful destiny awaits.

When I began this painting, I did not want to paint only the familiar image of Vasudeva crossing the river. I wanted to paint the procession. I wanted Shesha's hood to feel like a royal Chatra. I wanted the storm to feel less like a threat and more like music and I wanted Yamuna to feel alive. Above all, I wanted Krishna to remain what He appears to be at first glance. Nothing but a tiny newborn while everything around Him quietly reveals who He really is. That is perhaps what fascinates me most about this scene. The eye sees a baby, but the universe sees its Lord. 

Somewhere between those two visions lies the painting. This painting is one moment from that eternal story. Just like every moment of Krishna's leela, it carries a story much larger than itself.

Also somewhere between these stories, compositions, paints, brushes and the chaos, I stand in awe that the Lord is so kind as to give me a chance to be present among the ones who want to do His seva. 

"A moment in a story, with a story of its own."

I have a few thoughts on Krishna's childhood as perceived by Yashodha. If you are interested, I urge you to go through THIS POST too.

This Janmashtami, I offer this painting as my visual ode to that divine midnight journey. May the presence of Krishna bring light, peace and protection into our lives. Wishing you all a blessed and joyful Krishna Janmashtami.

Vasudeva Carrying Krishna

Oil on canvas

Kenistudio

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of my parents (in 2022)

Matsya Avatara

The Beginning of a Journey: Towards the Dashavatara