Rama at the Edge of the World

At the Edge of the World: A Study in Stone and Devotion.

A few years ago, I pulled out a sheet of oil paper for a project that started with a very specific, grounded obsession of rocks. 

As landscape and narrative painters, we often get caught up in fluid elements like moving water, soft clouds, or dramatic fabrics. But there is a unique, architectural beauty in stone. I found myself deeply drawn to a composition that relied entirely on heavy structures, sharp vantage points, and rugged textures.

The Focus and the Narrative

Because the stone was the true anchor for Rama, I kept the surrounding elements incredibly minimal.

You’ll notice the sky is remarkably clear and flat, stripped of my usual moody, rolling storm clouds. I intentionally dialed back the atmosphere because I wanted nothing to distract from the two subjects with the similar context. Rama and Rocks. I spent a massive amount of time working on the geometric layering of the crags. By using deep, velvety darks in the crevices and cooler mid-tones on the surfaces, I wanted to give the rocks a tangible sense of ancient, unyielding weight.

Their layered forms, weathered surfaces, and quiet permanence seem to carry the memory of ages. In this painting, I wanted to explore those qualities through the structure and texture of the rocks.

As the painting developed, Rama felt like the natural presence for such a landscape. Standing atop the ancient rocks, He gazes across the sea toward Lanka, where Sita awaits Him. The vast ocean lies between them, yet His resolve remains unshaken.

The strength of the rocks beneath Him seemed inseparable from the qualities He embodies. Their enduring nature reflects His steadfast commitment to dharma. Their immovable strength echoes His character and determination. The layered formations, shaped by the passage of time, remind us of the patience and perseverance required to uphold righteousness. 

The vantage point places him right at the edge of the world, looking out over an unseen ocean toward the horizon. This composition captures a quiet, heavy moment of anticipation from the Ramayana. The moments before the bridge is built, where Rama stands on the southern shores, gazing out toward Lanka, entirely focused. There is a beautiful parallel between the subject and the landscape here.

When you look at landscapes, are you more drawn to the fluid, ever-changing elements like skies and water, or do you appreciate the ancient, solid structure of mountains and stone? Let’s chat in the comments below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of my parents (in 2022)

Matsya Avatara

The Beginning of a Journey: Towards the Dashavatara