Listen to the Canvas

Listen to the Canvas

Sometimes, there is a strange moment in painting that feels almost supernatural.

You begin by doing something completely practical covering the intimidating white canvas with leftover paint from the palette, that people call the “dirt pile”. I never mix my dirt pile paint into a dull, midtone grey. It loses character. I like to loosen up my shoulder with sweeps of these muddy greens and warm browns, bright magentas and pale blues. Whatever remains in the “dirt pile.” Nothing intentional. Nothing sacred. Just an attempt to kill the glare of white, and hence begins the story of a painting.

Toned canvas, using leftover paint, using lose brush strokes.

Toning a canvas

Recently, while blocking in a painting of Draupadi, I noticed that the warm flesh tones emerging on the face were not planned at all. They were simply stains from the background layer, accidental mixtures of leftover paint rubbed thinly across the surface. These appeared before I consciously designed them. I did not invent the form. I merely recognized and reinforced. That realization stayed with me.

Painters often speak about “finding” a painting rather than constructing one. I understand that feeling more deeply now. The early stages of a painting are not entirely controlled by logic. The hand moves before language catches up. The eye begins searching instinctively for rhythm, emotion, movement, and symbolic shapes hidden inside chaos. A random stain suddenly becomes atmosphere. A careless brush wipe becomes the curve of a jaw. A patch of dirty green begins to feel cosmic and ancient. A warm underpainting unexpectedly carries the heat of human suffering.

What appears accidental is often the subconscious already at work. Perhaps that is why the earliest layers of a painting sometimes feel the most alive. At that stage, colors still contaminate one another naturally. Nothing is isolated yet. The entire surface breathes together. There is uncertainty, but there is also honesty.

Later come structure, anatomy, refinement, and deliberate decisions. Those things matter deeply, but before all of that, there is a quieter phase. A phase of conversation between instinct and surface.

The painting speaks first. The artist learns to listen, and maybe that is why myths lend themselves so beautifully to painting. These ancient subjects are not mechanical stories. They are emotional, symbolic, and idealistic. They emerge the same way paintings do.. Through fragments, associations, visions, and half-recognized forms rising slowly from darkness. Sometimes the painting knows before the painter does.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of my parents (in 2022)

Matsya Avatara

The Beginning of a Journey: Towards the Dashavatara