Shabari – A Work in Progress

 Shabari – A Work in Progress

There is a quiet joy in watching a painting slowly become itself.


This is my current work in progress: Shabari, one of the most touching devotees in the Ramayana. Her unwavering patience, humility, and unconditional love for Rama have always moved me deeply.

These photographs span several stages of the painting over many weeks. At first, I focus only on establishing the large shapes, colours, and relationships. The painting often looks awkward, unfinished, and even a little strange. That's completely normal and honestly, one of my favourite parts of oil painting. Every layer teaches me something about the next.

Gradually, the forms begin to find their structure. The expression becomes clearer. The tree, the hut, the light, and finally the little details all begin to support the story rather than compete with it.

I still have quite a bit of work left before I can call this painting finished, so I'll save the final reveal for another post. 

I hope you enjoy this little glimpse behind the scenes. Thank you for following along and encouraging me through these long, slow painting journeys. Every painting reminds me that beautiful things are rarely rushed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portrait of my parents (in 2022)

Matsya Avatara

The Beginning of a Journey: Towards the Dashavatara