Kurma Avatara - The Grand Reveal
Kurma Avatara - The Grand Reveal: Kurma Avatar and the Foundation of the Dashavatara Series
Over the past few posts, I've shared the story of Kurma avatara and the ideas that gradually shaped this painting. Today, I'm delighted to finally share the completed work.
With this series, my aim is not simply to illustrate stories from the Puranas. My challenge as an artist is to transform scripture into composition. Today, I am absolutely thrilled to present the foundational piece of my Dashavatara series and my very first painting.
Bringing the Cosmic Churning to Life
This painting represents a massive milestone for me. Measuring 21" X 28", it serves as the visual anchor for everything to come in this series.
In the artwork, you can see Kurma Avatar submerged in the churning, deep-blue waters, his expression resolute as he carries the immense weight of Mount Mandara. The texture of his shell and the sharp details of his gaze are contrasted by the churning white sea foam above.
Towering over the waves, Mount Mandara rises against a dramatic, fiery sunset sky, wrapped in swirling cosmic energy. I wanted the colors to reflect the intense friction and divine energy of the Samudra Manthan where the battle between devas and asuras creates an explosive, dramatic atmosphere.
The Journey Begins Here
Because this is the very first painting of the series, it holds a special place in my heart. It is the bedrock, much like Kurma himself, upon which the rest of the Dashavatara project will stand. Balancing the scriptural research with my own artistic intuition was a challenging but incredibly rewarding process.
Process
I began with a toned ground and gradually built the forms through multiple passes, allowing the structure and values to develop before refining colour and atmosphere. Rather than relying on heavy impasto, I preferred subtle transitions and transparent layers to create the underwater light and depth.
The palette was intentionally restrained. The cool underwater blues and greens contrast with the warmth above the surface, while the calm, unwavering presence of Kurma forms the visual anchor of the composition. I wanted the viewer to feel stability beneath the turbulence rather than be distracted by the activity of the churning itself.
This painting marks the beginning of my Dashavatara journey.
I hope that, over the coming months, you'll continue travelling with me as I explore each avatara in the same way. From scripture, to contemplation, to composition, and finally, to paint.
Essence: The Lord as the unfailing sustainer who enables every act of purpose.
Details
Medium: Oil on Canvas
Series: Dashavatara
Painting: 1 of 10

Comments
Post a Comment